Software Engineering Major
- SE v3.5 - for students entering in Fall 2019 or later
- SE v3.4 - for students entering in Fall 2018
- SE v3.3 - for students entering in Fall 2015 – 2017
All software engineering students are encouraged to meet with their advisor whenever they have questions regarding their academic and career plans. SE students must see their advisor quarterly to discuss academic and career plans and progress. They must receive their advisors' approval before registering; the online registration system enforces this.
You can meet with your advisor before you receive your quarterly registration notice from the Registrar, so do not wait until the last week!
Advising season typically starts in week 7. Some advisors will post sign-up sheets with available advising slots outside their office. Some advisors will notify you of other appointment procedures (e.g., Outlook) or Google docs. Please sign up for one of these slots; signing up early will give you a wider choice of times.
What to bring to the meeting with your advisor:
- A copy of the SE curriculum flowchart or curriculum track for your curriculum version marked with the courses you have successfully completed (or about to complete successfully this quarter).
- Your preliminary plans for the next quarter's schedule (information on planned electives: Tentative EECS elective courses offered in 2020-2021
- Any questions you may have
- Once the schedule is available, you may find Scheduler helpful.
The MSOE Registrar keeps track of the advisor assigned to each student. If you are not sure who your advisor is, you can find out by following these steps:
- Log in to my.msoe.edu
- Click Personal Info (next to your name in the top bar)
- Click Academic Info within the My Info window
- Your advisors will be listed in the first section.
A two-degree track for a combined CE/SE dual major is available. This track follows a 5 year plan, but students have accelerated the course sequence and finished in one or two quarters beyond 4 years. Please see your advisor or CE program director (Dr. Durant) for more information.
If you have already taken or are interested in taking courses at a different institution and transferring the course to MSOE for credit, you may find the MSOE transfer manual to be useful. The transfer manual shows course mappings for courses at other institutions to equivalent courses at MSOE . If you have questions, please discuss them with your academic advisor.
The Registrar's Office webpage contains links to a number of important documents that will help you navigate the registration process. In particular, if you click on the Registration and Schedules heading, you can access:
- A tentative list of EECS electives
- Information on entering a closed section
- Class schedules for the previous three quarters
Specific Instructions for Dr. Taylor's Advisees
Advisees: I have sign-up sheets posted on my office door.
Please sign up for a time to meet with me.
You'll know you're ready to talk to me when you have the following with you:
- Curriculum track or flow chart with completed courses noted
- List of courses you plan to take the next quarter
Please have these things when coming for advising
On Track Courses by Year