Software Engineering Major
- SE Curriculum Version 3.5 - for all students graduating before fall 2023
- Transition plans and SE v4.0 - for all other students
There are two active student organizations that are popular with many software engineering students. If you are not involved, consider getting involved.
All software engineering students are encouraged to meet with their advisor whenever they have questions regarding their academic and career plans. SE students must see their advisor quarterly to discuss academic and career plans and progress. They must receive their advisors' approval before registering; the online registration system enforces this.
You can meet with your advisor before you receive your quarterly registration notice from the Registrar, so do not wait until the last week!
Advising season typically starts in week 7. Some advisors will post sign-up sheets with available advising slots outside their office. Some advisors will notify you of other appointment procedures (e.g., Outlook) or Google docs. Please sign up for one of these slots; signing up early will give you a wider choice of times.
What to bring to the meeting with your advisor:
- For students graduating before fall 2023, a copy of the SE curriculum flowchart or curriculum track for your curriculum version marked with the courses you have successfully completed (or about to complete successfully this quarter).
- For all other students, your advisor will have a text file with your course history and use STAT software to develop a transition plan. Please consider the following questions:
- Do you have interest in one or more minors?
- Would you like to be part-time in your last term at MSOE?
- Your preliminary plans for the next quarter's schedule (information on planned electives: Tentative EECS elective courses offered in 2022-2023
- Any questions you may have
- Once the schedule is available, you may find Scheduler helpful.
The MSOE Registrar keeps track of the advisor assigned to each student. If you are not sure who your advisor is, you can find out by following these steps:
- Log in to my.msoe.edu
- Click Personal Info (next to your name in the top bar)
- Click Academic Info within the My Info window
- Your advisors will be listed in the first section.
The SE advisors are Profs. Hasker, Jones, Lembke, Magaña, Schilling, Sohoni, Taylor (see below), and Yoder. All their offices are located on the 4th floor of Diercks Hall.
A two-degree track for a combined CE/SE dual major is available. This track follows a 5 year plan, but students have accelerated the course sequence and finished in one or two quarters beyond 4 years. Please see your advisor or CE program director (Dr. Durant) for more information.
If you have already taken or are interested in taking courses at a different institution and transferring the course to MSOE for credit, you may find the MSOE transfer manual to be useful. The transfer manual shows course mappings for courses at other institutions to equivalent courses at MSOE . If you have questions, please discuss them with your academic advisor.
The Registrar's Office webpage contains links to a number of important documents that will help you navigate the registration process. In particular, if you click on the Registration and Schedules heading, you can access:
- A tentative list of EECS electives
- Information on entering a closed section
- Class schedules for the previous three quarters
How to Prepare for Your Advising Meeting
You'll know you're ready to talk with your advisor when you have the following:
- Curriculum track or flow chart with completed courses noted
- List of courses you plan to take the next quarter
Please have these things when coming for advising
Standard Course Options by Year